Family-Friendly Winter Activities – No Matter the Weather
Family-Friendly When we think of the spring, summer, or fall, many fun outdoor family activities come to mind. When it comes to the winter months, it can be much more challenging to think of fun activities, especially ones that keep the family physically active, due to the harsh, cold weather. Most of the time during the winter, children are entertained by technology, which most families are trying to find a balance for. Winter is the perfect time to put down the devices and take advantage of quieter schedules to spend more time as a family.
Spending time together as a family helps form bonds and connections that will be with your children throughout life. Research shows that children who spend quality time with their families are less likely to have behavioral issues. Other benefits of family time include:
- Building strong, emotional bonds
- Allowing families to reconnect and communicate
- Creating happy memories and a loving, warm environment
- Teaching families how to work together as a team
Don’t let the winter weather stop you from enjoying family time together. At Educational Playcare, we love to have fun, which is why it is one of our Core Values. Whether it is outdoors or indoors, there are plenty of fun activities you can do together as a family.
If the season has been mild, or the weather isn’t too cold, get outdoors and enjoy! Even the snow can provide a ton of fun activities! Just make sure everyone has dressed appropriately for the weather conditions. Here are a few ideas:
- Have a snowman building and decorating contest.
- Paint pictures in the snow using paint in spray bottles.
- Build a snow fort.
- Go sledding.
- Make a snow maze (the perfect way to turn shoveling the driveway and sidewalks into a fun game!)
- Use the snow in a sensory table.
- Go on a hike.
- Play “I Spy”, looking for different leaves, rocks, or animal prints if it has recently snowed.
- Go ice skating.
If the weather doesn’t allow you to enjoy some fun outside, there are plenty of indoor activities to keep the fun going!
- Create different art projects and host an art show .
- Visit a local museum.
- Have a dance party.
- Build a fort or try other STEAM themed activities.
- Go to the movies.
- Visit an indoor gym for kids.
- Go to the library and discover new books.
- Make your own taste-safe play dough.
- Play cards or board games together.
Don’t let the cold weather keep your family from having a good time and creating memories together. What activities does your family enjoy during the winter months?